History

The house was first called as Nª Sra. De Candelaria and it was created by the devoted Dominican friar Antonio el Gomero at the eighteenth century (about the year 1788).

History

Fray Antonio el Gomero riding on his mule and equipped with barrels, at the time of the harvest he went from winepress to winepress asking for donations and by filling his barrels. He managed to fill his cellar with good wines which sold at good prices to two parishioners of his trust, neighbors of the Realejo who took them to the island of Lanzarote and on their return they paid the friar with money and fruits.

Fray Antonio died in 1811. Because he had lived there for so many years, that area is now known as the Montaña del Fraile.

After being the residence of several families, it was decided to turn it into a restaurant and as such it worked until the 80's.

In 1990 the company Columbus S.A. acquired the farm and made the necessary reforms and restorations for three years, reopened its doors to the public until the present time with the name of Mesón el Monasterio.

Since the day of the reopening, on September 13, 1993, the Mesón el Monasterio on an area of 100,000 m2 has been honored with the presence of high-ranking personalities from the world of culture, politics (Bill Clinton himself), sports, as well as thousands of customers.

In the year 2000 Mesón el Monasterio complex was declared of social interest by the Tourism and Transport Council of the Government of the Canary Islands.

0
0
0
s2sdefault